Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Rehab Day 1

Hi folks!
This is Carlie popping in to do a little update for the day. Today has been a bit of a grumpy day for Dad. When I got to the hospital I was forewarned that he had been a little somber. The nurses told us that he didn't sleep well, and he was in a deep sleep when I arrived this afternoon. Unfortunately, being jolted out of a dead slumber by physical therapy didn't do much to improve his already dismal mood. Physical therapists at the U of U sort of have a reputation for being persistent. And these particular characters were no exception. They immediately started pulling pillows out from under him in an effort to rouse him. The therapists really wanted to try and sit Dad up on his own this afternoon. They sat the bed up in order to see if he could support his own weight. As he started to wake up more it was very clear that he was not thrilled with the therapy plan for the day. He reluctantly moved his feet and wiggled his toes. He was able to sit up for just a few seconds on his own without the physical support of the therapists. They worked with him on supporting his own head, and tracking voices and people with his eyes. Throughout the session both his parents, my Mom, and Tim and I were his VERY enthusiastic cheerleading squad. There were many times when he gave us that "please get out of my face" look when we really got excited. ;) I think that a lot of Dad's frustration is related to the fact that he really can't communicate. I don't know how much he is processing or understands, but it seems that he is frustrated by the inability to speak or let us know what he needs. I believe that he knows who different people are, and I think that he recognizes the different family members who come in and out. This has to be a humbling experience for Dad. He has never been the kind of man who stayed down long (I can count his sick days in my entire 21 years on 1 hand). I am sure that it is difficult for him to not be able to respond or acknowledge everyone the way he would like. We are all hoping that he is able to rest well tonight, and that his spirits will be a bit brighter in the morning. He is now completely free of all the tubes in his nose and mouth, and he is really starting to look like my sweet Dad again. He does have a few new holes and tubes, but we will keep them until he is back on his feet. Even though he did not have the best day, I am nothing but grateful for where he is this very minute. I have a feeling this will not be our last stir crazy day around here. Dad has already proved what a fighter he is. I know that this stubborn streak he has will actually work in our favor in the end. He will keep going, and we will keep cheering him on (even though it annoys him!)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Carl!! They were never known as the cheeriest group of fellas around. We are all cheering for him as he takes these big strides. Remember all the times that Grandma would roll her eyes at us before she could fully communicate?? Hugs and prayers. Give both your mom and dad my love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the addition of your voice Carl! I think the updates are so awesome and i am grateful for them! I love the picture in my head of all of you cheerleaders. Hoping tomorrow is a better day mentally for your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear of your Dad's progress!! He is a fighter and he is so lucky to have such amazing support and encouragement from you all!! Hoping the coming days get easier for him. Thanks for the update-sending more love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carlie, I thank you so much for your update. Your Dad is on a journey to regain his life and with all the help of family and friends he will do this. I can tell you from my experiences with my wife after her stroke that your Dad will have some very very hard days, but he will also have some good ones as well. Reinforcing positive attitude is of course a very big deal. There were a few times early in my wife's rehab their at the U. Of U. where she absolutely did not want to get up, but I had to stay strong and push her to fight for everything and let her know she could do it. This man in so many ways is like my wife, as he's worked his whole life and always on the go ans for people like this, it's truly a double edged sword. They want to go and go now!!! This can be frustrating as heck, but these type of people also will be driven to make things happen and I truly feel your Dad will. God bless you all and know we are here for you. Hang in there, one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thursday morning 7:00a.m. and I am wishing, hoping, praying Judd, that you will find the strength to fight today. God bless you on your journey and don't give up, NEVER give up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carlie, you are so cute. I love that you and Che' are keeping us updated. Go JUDD!!! Each day is a little brighter, we are praying for you and cheering right along with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Gracie Hill:
    Come on Judd--Bruce will race you around the truck shop! We will give you a little time, but the bet is on. And oh, how I can relate to cheering someone on...and they are not excited. Bruce would kind of roll his eyes and put up with me!
    WE ARE ALL CHEERING YOU ON...HOPING AND PRAYERING FOR A GOOD DAY! STAY STRONG!

    ReplyDelete