Saturday, March 16, 2013

Patience

“Patience is tied very closely to faith in our Heavenly Father. Actually, when we are unduly impatient, we are suggesting that we know what is best—better than does God. Or, at least, we are asserting that our timetable is better than His” (“Patience,” Ensign, Oct. 1980, 28).

Patience. A virtue I lack possibly more than any other. Trusting in God and his plan for my Dad has been the most difficult thing I have ever done. Because I
NEED my Dad. This experience is teaching me that patience and faith are so important for my own sanity. Today my Dad's eyes have been open for a large part of the day. He is tracking us when we speak and has nodded his head ever so slightly to communicate with us.

My Dad has made great strides in the last few days but has been unable to move his body at all (except occasionally when responding to pain). This afternoon when Carlie, my Mom and I begged him along with his nurse to wiggle his toes, he did it. Right there ever so slightly he moved his right foot, and then his left. We were downright joyful and told him repeatedly how proud we are of him and how strong he is. He seemed a little frustrated that he is still unable to move his upper extremities, but we know there is still much healing to be had and we are relishing in the baby steps.

He has a persistent infection in his lungs and today the doctors explained at length that the time is swiftly approaching when he will need to have a tracheostomy placed, as it is unsafe to ventilate a patient through the mouth for over two weeks. We are sad he will have to have another procedure but realize this will be a necessary part of the process.

As for the four letter word: the clot. It is still there threatening his very life at every second of every day. The team is very well aware of it and still unable to safely treat it. So just like in so many situations throughout this ordeal, we will wait. And we will continue to pray that it does not completely impede blood flow from his leg or travel to a major organ. We are thanking our father in heaven for the little miracles we are experiencing each day. And we are thanking each and every one of you along with him. Your thoughts and prayers are not unnoticed and we have felt the comfort and strength from all of you. So thank you.

9 comments:

  1. Once again you bring tears to my eyes. When I read your posts it just takes me back in time. I am so thrilled to hear that your Dad wiggled his toes and he is able to follow you with his eyes. These are to most people, small steps, but for your Dad, this is HUGE! I continue to pray with each inch he will make strides forward. I pray the clot will be treatable. So many things to worry about, but you made some progress today and for this I say, "Great Job Judd!" Stay strong, stay close, work together and take one day at a time. All our prayers and Love,Troy & Linda Hess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Che' I cry every time I read your updates. Today was tears of joy! I am so happy Judd is doing better. Little steps every day. We are praying continually for your welfare and for Judd's. We love all of you so much.
    Love Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Che', thank you so much for taking the time to write these posts. I can only imagine how difficult it must be. I find myself refreshing your page numerous times a day, patiently waiting for your updates. Each day I cry and silently pray for your family. Please give your mom my love. I think I miss her more now then ever and I am sending strength and comfort her way. You are truly a gifted writer. Your Dad will be very proud when he gets to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW,that is great news! It is wonderful to hear of these small miracles. I have been wanting to comment for awhile now,but what do you say that hasn't been already said? We are so grateful for your posts to keep all of us up to date on your dad's progress. I have known Judd almost all of my life and know what a great guy he is. We hold your Dad,Susan,and all of you in our hearts and our prayers,great job Judd! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Bruce and Gracie HILL--
    We wanted to shout for joy today--your posts are so inspiring. It is little steps---continued prayers and love for Judd and Susan and all of you

    ReplyDelete
  6. YaHoo! Great strides! Love your posts. You are an amazing writer. Many prayers are still coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On this third Sunday since the incident, I pray with all that I have inside that your Dad will have a good day today. "Please Lord, give Judd the strength with in to keep fighting. Bless this family also with the strength to continue to watch over their loved one who is in such need right now. They have a very emotionally draining job right now and they need hands of comfort apon them. May Doctors and Nurses be able to make all the right decisions on Judd's behalf. Let Judd recover from this as his family needs him and his work is not done, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the Zirker Family-
    We as a family are elated to hear that Judd is making improvements.We are continually praying for your whole family and the medical staff who is taking care of him. The small steps are the ones that count. When you look back they are a long road, and worth every step. Thank you for writing so we can be updated, and know how Judd is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the posts. God does have a plan and He is known as "The Great Physician." He can heal our hearts and our bodies. Praying for healing for your dad and strength, patience, and encouragement for you and your family. Give my best to your mom.

    Continued prayers!

    Liz Weinhardt

    ReplyDelete