Thursday, March 28, 2013

A whole new Dad

This is Cortney tonight. Che' is busy delivering babies, and asked me to fill in. I did not get here until four this afternoon, so I missed most of the day, but I will do my best.
When I left last Thursday I left a Dad who still most of the time did not seem to know who I was, was confused, and seemed very sad. The Dad I saw today was a whole new man. My kids and I came bounding into his room, he said "hi grandkids", and then reached his arm out to each of them calling them by name. It was such a sweet little reunion, as all four of his grandkids sat around his room   fighting for the chance to sit in the chair next to Grandpa.

I was not here for his therapy today, but it sounds pretty intense. Dad's day started at 9:00 am when they started his first therapy session. He has five sessions throughout the day that last 45 minutes each. Today he said that he walked, practiced on stairs, and I heard he even beat Colby at a game of tic tac toe. It sounds like Colby did an excellent job today, and pushed Dad pretty hard. Dad also had an exciting first today, he was able to suck on ice chips and eat some applesauce. I have never seen my dad eat applesauce in my life, but you would have thought he had a steak. He was super excited. I am sure after a month of no food anything is gourmet. I am not sure what the plan is for introducing new foods, but this small start is exciting.

Dad is still a little confused at times, is struggling with his short term memory, and the double vision continues to bother him. He also gets a little anxious at night and is having a hard time sleeping. It will be nice when he can get home to his own bed, and his own routine. Today, he was telling me he has to get home because it is going to be time to drill soon. He is a true farmer, and a little stroke can not keep him from worrying about his crops. I feel as if Dad is improving a little bit everyday. I was in awe this evening as I watched my Dad get up, and with assistance walk himself to the restroom. I can not believe that the man I saw in his bed today is the same man I kissed goodbye a week ago. He amazes me, he is a fighter, he has a positive attitude, and he will overcome this.





5 comments:

  1. We love you so much, Cortney and I am so happy your Dad is doing so amazing. WE are still praying every night that he comes home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cortney, thank you so very much for your post. There is NOTHING in this world that will bring greater joy to your Dad right now like having Grandkids hugging on him!!! Those were and are still the best days for my wife Linda. That was perfect for him and to have his son beat him at tic tac toe just makes him fight to want to win! Cortney, all of you kids have the same Dad, its just the "New Normal" as we like to call it. I am so happy for the progress your Dad is making. Rehab is NOT easy, especially at first, but if you think he's made such a big change in a week since you've seen him, wait till its the one year mark like my wife! :-) It was so nice to be able to visit with your Mother the other day. She has some what of a new roll right now this marriage, but with all of your love and support, the wo of them will be just fine. We shared some laughs and of course I was a boob and cried a little, but that's ok. We share something in common and its the fact that the person we love more then anything in this world depends on us to help them get through a tough time, but together with "time and patience" we do it! Take care and continue the fight Crapo Clan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I loved what you wrote Cortney, and the pictures of your dad look great! It sounds so good, the progress he's made so far. The pictures of him with Mason, Avery, and Max are so sweet. They love him so much, I'm so thankful he's going to still be there for all of you. I really see how all of you siblings are pulling together with your mom and other family to help your dad. That's what it's all about really. Love you all, Kim and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another greatly blessed day! Your post brings all of us great joy! And Cortney--and kids....so, so, so happy for the day you've had with him! A week and a huge difference....Keep going forward Team Crapo!--from Bruce and Gracie Hill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! This made me cry! How wonderful for all of you. Miracles are REAL and Judd is proof of that. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete