Monday, March 11, 2013

Moving day

When we arrived at EIRMC this morning, the nurses told us that Dad's neurologist had already called the accepting physician in Salt Lake and that Dad could transfer to the University of Utah today. We were all very anxious about our decision to move him while so critically ill, but we feel very confident this is what he would have wanted. After thousands of forms, interviews and questions we were told a bed was ready for him and it was time to go. My mom and siblings and I all felt very nervous at this point, but prayed at his bedside that he would arrive safely.

As an employee of the university, I feel so confident in their ability to care for my Dad. I feel relieved he will be on a unit that specializes in critically ill neuro patients, and I know every attempt will be made to assist him in a full recovery. At the same time, I am so grateful for the staff in Idaho Falls who got him to a place where he
would be stable enough to transport. We had some fantastic nurses and the ICU doctor, Dr. O'Mara, provided my family with so much compassion and support.

Dad's condition remains unchanged today. I just got word that he and my mom landed safely but I have yet to lay my eyes on him for confirmation.

At the beginning of this journey the doctors repeated time and time again, 'This will be a long time, perhaps weeks or months before he wakes' and in my mind I thought, 'you don't know my dad'. However, today marks the eighth day of my nightmare and I am realizing they are right. This is not a sprint, but an excruciating marathon. I look forward to a fresh perspective on my Dad's situation, and while I'm not expecting a lot answers as to his prognosis, I am confident every resource will be available to him for a full recovery.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Che! Glad he is in Salt Lake and can receive even more care than what can be offered here. He has been in great care and will continue in great care in Utah. Hugs to all of you, we love you and pray for you daily.

    ReplyDelete