Tuesday, March 26, 2013

No longer critical!

Today we made the big move from critical care to rehab! To me this move represents many things, the largest of all being the fact that my Dad is medically stable enough to transfer from a high acuity unit!

Dad had a rough night last night. He became really agitated and they had to restrain his arms. That, of course increased the agitation and he ended up with no sleep. He did well with rehab today. They are still just having him stand at the edge of the bed and attempt to take a few steps.

Once in rehab, I requested that the nurse call someone who could apply his speaking valve to his Trach. It is so difficult to watch Dad mouth words and make hand gestures without having any way to decipher what he needs. The respiratory therapist eventually came and we were able to have another colorful conversation with him. For the most part Dad is very lucid, he remembers who everyone is, what he does, where he lives, and the date. He was extremely annoyed when the doctor asked him who the president is. As most of you know, my dad is about as right winged as they come and he did not appreciate having to talk about Barack Obama. He does, however, still have quite a bit of confusion happening. For instance, he told Colby he needs to check the temperature of the rocks and reminded us repeatedly that he is going home tomorrow. At one point the doctor asked him to touch his nose and then touch the doctor's outstretched index finger. Dad did both and then grabbed onto his finger. The doctor then asked him to touch his nose again. For some reason my Dad became convinced that the doctor's index finger was his own and tried repeatedly to pull his hand toward his nose. He kept saying 'well I would if you would let me!' Colby and I tried so hard not to laugh but he is just so funny right now. He has made some amazing progress but he is definitely caught somewhere between reality and Strokeville.

We are so excited to watch his progress over the next couple of weeks. He is very motivated to work hard and continue his path to recovery and we all have no doubt he will get there. Welcome to the rehab chapter!



6 comments:

  1. Awesome picture! And glad to see that is Judd's thumb there! Love the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's become routine for me to read your blog when I'm up in the middle of the night w/my newborn. I've cried many times but for today I'm trilled to see this big step into rehab. It's so fun to see his personality shine through. I laughted about the Obama comment! You all are so strong for him. No wonder he is making excellent progress. Good luck and know that all of you are still in my prayers. Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just makes me so happy! Brought tears to my eyes:-) such a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news!! Its nice to see you all smiling too!! Wishing him well as he begins this new journey of Rehab!! Hugs to you all ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yahoo! That's awesome news and each day seems to be little brighter and better and you can't ask for more than right now. You and the rest of us will take every little bit of good news and most of all steps in the right direction. Thank you and Carlie for updating this blog. The pix is great to see you all smiling and most of all hope for the future. We all need hope, it's what keeps us all going. Your dad is a fighter and always has been since I have known him and he has an awesome family to give him reasons to fight and get him through it. My love and prayers to you all (give your mom a little special hug from me).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just have to comment on this post. Wonderful! Thank you so much for the updates. You are such a strong family and have such faith and endurance! God bless you all and keep up the good work. YAY JUDD!

    ReplyDelete