Saturday, March 23, 2013

Conversations with Dad

I wanted to title this 'conversations with the Mad Hatter' but Landon forbade it. My Dad had such a great day yesterday and must have really worn himself out because today he was very tired and lethargic. In fact this afternoon he slipped back into a very deep sleep and resumed his all too familiar shaking. We haven't seen him do this for weeks and it was concerning for us to watch as we are constantly afraid he may suffer from a rebleed due to the high administration of blood thinners. The medical director came to the room and while he was also not able to rouse Dad, he reassured us that he is still recovering and still has blood in the part of his brain that controls consciousness. While He was in his coma like state the speech therapist came to practice speaking with him by placing a speaking valve on his Trach. For days now my Dad has been mouthing words and becoming more frustrated that he is not able to effectively communicate so I was super anxious for him to wake up and participate.

The therapist left her pager number and said if we could wake him within the hour she would come back. I know my Dad was probably so annoyed with all of my tactics, but he eventually opened his eyes to my pleading.

When the valve was in place and he was able to speak with us he was extremely confused. He could not remember any of his kid's names and said my mom's name was 'Mary'. He did remember though that Cade is his brother and told my Mom repeatedly that he wanted to go home tonight or tomorrow. He asked me when we got on the ship, counted to four in Spanish instead of English and couldn't believe he had been married for thirty years. We smiled and laughed while he talked, not because we were making fun of him but because it was such a relief that he was able communicate and clearly still has language skills. I think he would have been much more lucid if we had not done the speaking trial right after a deep sleep, but at this point it's really difficult to tell exactly what he understands right now.

I know this blog sometimes comes across as sad, or as if I highlight the bad instead of the good, but this blog is perhaps the most true, raw and honest thing I have ever written. No one can dictate what emotions you should have when going trough an experience like this and I certainly cannot apologize for any feeling I have had throughout this process. My dad has made amazing strides in three weeks, he has done things countless professionals said he may never do and literally grows stronger everyday. That being said, this process continues to be one of uncertainty and grieving for my siblings, mother and I. We are each coming to terms with the reality of our situation and dealing with these difficult emotions in our own way. This blog has been therapeutic for me. I have sat by my Dad in the darkness of his room and written thoughts straight from my crying heart. Its literally as if i am opening my diary to thousands of strangers and it makes me extremely vulnerable. Please understand that in a hemorrhagic stroke as severe as my Dad's, patients do not wake up and return to their daily lives right away. Some days are good. And some days are bad. I am certainly not trying to give more credit to one than the other. Someday I like to think I will read this with him and I know that he will appreciate every emotion that we felt: the joys AND the heartaches.

9 comments:

  1. Che' I love reading your blog. You are a very good writer and I like that you share your emotions with us. I know your dad will appreciate reading it also. We are thinking about all of you everyday and praying that everything will go well. Love you,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep sharing...I love your heart and I love your honesty. Not to take away from what you are saying, but I remember staying strong at the hospital, giving updates, then going back to my apartment at night where no one could see or hear--and cry in the shower and sleep with my light on...and thinking that not all in this life is fair. And then I'd pull myself up by the bootstraps the next morning and be at the hospital at 6 am to help Bruce and start another day. Prayers and love to Judd and all of you.--gracie hill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you so much. Everything you have written is absolutely perfect.
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I love all the updates and i love this one extra because of the humor you can still express in the face of such difficulty. I love that your dad wants to go home tomorrow (don't we all wish that could be so!) and i really love that he counted in Spanish. Gotta admit i laughed a little about that. It will be interesting to see how speech therapy goes when he is a little more lucid. Love the updates...keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Che'Lyn, I want you to know that reading your posts are like stepping back almost one year now when my wife Linda had her ruptured aneurism and stroke. So many of your emotions and stories are extremely close to home for me. I want you to know that I also found my journal entries for everyone to read were theraputic. Your feelings and your thoughts being shared with us are a blessing. This is a life changing event your family is going through and there is nothing easy about. So writing and letting some of these feelings out is a good thing. No one can EVER truly understand what it's like being in your shoes unless they are going through it themselves and let's pray they don't. I smiled when you spoke of your Dad counting in Spanish, because my wife said a whole sentence in complete Spanish as well as asked me who the two little Spanish girls were that were standing next to me. My wife speaks NO Spanish by the way! :-) As your Dad begins this rehab process, I pray for him and your family to have the strength to meet each little goal daily. It is the hardest job he will ever have and it will be very hard to watch, but "it is what it is" and you ALL can and will get through this. Che', I know we do not know each other very well, but please know that we are here for you if you need. The two of us have been through hell and back this past year, so we know what you are feeling and it will be OK. You have an amazing family and together you will all get through this trial. Good night, God Bless and may tomorrow be a good day for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well stated, Che... You don't know me and I barely know your dad, but my husband, Dan is a relative of you and your dad and I love and adore your sister, Cortney. We look forward to your update each day, checking the blog often to see I it is there! Your messages are never of a negative nature, but very honest and sincere, which makes us all feel like we are sitting in that hospital room with you all! We appreciate the descriptive nature of your words because we get a feel of the emotions you are having with his triumphs as well as his set backs! So thank you, Che'Lyn! We pray for your dad and family daily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are AMAZING!! Lots of loves......and really...? Spanish? Who knew!! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for keeping this blog going. We have all been thinking of you and your family. Its great to see the progress that your dad is making. My heart goes out to you guys everyday. Keeping you in our prayers.
    The Shane Wright Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate you sharing this che. It is good to hear that he is improving. I think about you guys every day. -Liz

    ReplyDelete