Thursday, March 14, 2013

Day 11

Day 11? Day 111? It's all relative at this point. The best words I can find to describe this situation are fear and exhaustion! I mean that in a physical and emotional sense. My family has lost loved ones, too many loved ones in my opinion. But in most of the circumstances (save one), the passing was quick and the realization of grief was swift. I have described this situation to others as being dragged behind a truck for two weeks, and that analogy is feeling more and more real everyday.

We came to the hospital this morning anticipating the administration of a medication to reverse the effects of Ativan, only to learn it had too many side effects and they were not comfortable giving it. I walked past my Dad to place my purse on the couch and my Mom said, "Judd! Are you going to open your eyes?!" I ran to the bedside, and sure enough. My Dad was attempting to open his right eye. I kissed his cheek and noticed him blink, a protective reflex when something comes at your face unexpectedly. We cried and called nearly everyone we know. Disclaimer: Don't feel bad if we didn't call you. I'm greatly exaggerating.

We were thrilled at this change, but the doctors and nurses seemed to be less interested, as he is still unresponsive in most every other sense. In rounds, the doctors ordered multiple new tests. A continuous EEG to watch for seizure activity, an EKG to check the quality and function of his heart (as he has had an extremely high heart rate for a few days now and they are concerned the clot in his leg may have worked its way to his lung), and a test to check the connection between his brain and muscles.

The afternoon brought a slightly disheartening meeting with the doctors in which the same old lectures were reiterated, "It's too soon to tell. We don't want to sugar coat things. You need to prepare for the worst. If this test comes back negative there is nothing we can do. But, try to remain hopeful." That sort of feels like someone saying, "I hate every single thing about you. But no offense." They informed us that the EEG and the EKG both came back normal (phew). But that the results of the brain/muscle scan would not be back until evening. They reinforced multiple times that this test is extremely important and would be highly sensitive in anticipating his ultimate prognosis.

We were sick as we awaited the results. We had dinner and then made our way back to the hospital. On our way we stopped in labor and delivery to see if my friends could tell what gender little Baby Fullmer  or "Squishy" as we affectionately refer to it had decided to become. Did I ever mention I am pregnant? Not exactly how I wanted my little one to make its debut. But alas, that's the least of my problems. Gender result? Undecided, but preliminarily a girl (I will certainly not be rushing to Babies R Us any time soon). When we entered the NCCU we were immediately informed that the results of the test would not be available until tomorrow morning.

When I entered my Dad's room this evening, he had both eyes half open. I know what you are thinking, because so did I. Hooray! He is waking up! And while I still feel this way, I was not expecting how hard it would be to see him with his eyes open. Those eyes have smiled with me, cried with me and have filled with compassion, love and concern countless times throughout my life. Tonight, they were glassy, unfocused and sad. And while he has had shaking since the beginning of this ordeal, it is more tortuous when he is attempting to open his eyes because I am afraid that he is struggling and that he is aware of it. I have no idea if this is true, as countless people have recounted that patients rarely remember anything when they survive something like this. But like I said before, fear is a very real emotion in this. And I am constantly afraid for his well being.

Every night when we get in the car we play the "Positive or negative day" game. Today? Positive. Dad is progressing. He is showing us that he is still in there. He wants to come forward. But the realization of what the means is setting in for me and for my family. Waking up will not be painless. He will most likely be scared, worried, confused and in excruciating pain. And it's something he has to do alone. But rest assured, we will be holding his hands and reminding him how strong he is and just how much we love him. Which as it turns out, is a lot.

7 comments:

  1. WOW. So many great things in this. I LOVE that he is attempting to get his eyes open and I am going to run with that as the best news so far. You are right though, there is going to be so much pain involved, but pain your dad is strong enough to tackle. He wants to make it out of this, I know it. I also love that you had an ultrasound (EXCUSE ME??? GIRL!!!! I am going with it. I might buy a dress this weekend in fact... and feed her whip cream when she is 2.5 months old. Plan on it.) love you all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you all know how much I'm thinking and praying for you. I really want to try and come up to the hospital. No necessarily to see Judd, but to see your mom. She did so much for me when I was young. She's an amazingly strong woman. Your dad was great with my own dad-which I will always be grateful for. Your family has been through so much. It just breaks my heart with this new trial. I'm just here in Bountiful and I'll try and get up there if that's OK. Let me know if it's too much. Tell your mom I love her! --Kassie (Rose) Salmon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly don't even know where to begin and I could go on for hours, but to keep this short and to the point.....I cried as I read this latest posting as I truly feel and understand so much what fear and pain you all are going through right now. Please do not lose hope and as your Dad conitues his fight for life, you have remain strong for him and each other. There is NOTHING easy about any of this. I pray God will give you ALL strength to carry on and most of all I pray your your Dad that he will fight for this! I just want you to know that my days are filled with thoughts of your whole family and what you are having to go through. Let's all continue to hope for the best outcome possible. All my prayers go out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Gracie Hill:
    I felt I needed to tell you about our experience with tremors or shakes--when Bruce was injured (spinal cord injury) and he would try to move a muscle and concentrate--the tremors or shakes would take place. I think what you are seeing is a positive...don't be discouraged--prayers and love to all of you inclduing Squishy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Che'Lyn,

    Thank you so much for opening your heart and thoughts to all of us who are checking in multiple times a day to see if there's been any update. We are all thinking of your family and sending you and yours all of our best. Sending so much love. Jocelyn Crapo (and Tom)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your a amazing family keep your heads up. Your dad is a fighter and its going to be ok keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete