Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Day 16

My dad is out of surgery and everything went well. They successfully placed a tracheostomy and a feeding tube. His ventricular drain is still in place but will most likely be removed this evening. We are also hoping they will start the anticoagulants soon to begin the breaking up process of his large clots.

Dad is struggling emotionally today. He is still not able to talk but we have noticed tears in his eyes the last few hours. Thankfully Conn and Grandpa were able to give him a blessing for comfort. This is the third blessing he has received since his stroke but the first that he is aware of. I am so glad my Dad has such a close relationship with his father and brothers as I know they will be a very instrumental part of his recovery.

The overwhelming fear of Dad not waking up is gone and has now been replaced by the realization of the work and road blocks ahead. As most of you know this is a very active and hard working 50 year old man and I truly think this process will be very trying and frustrating for him. I am not convinced that he understands what happened to him despite us trying to explain what has taken place the last two weeks and I think he is frightened and confused by the devastation to his mind and body.

I said so many times to so many people the last two weeks that we are a strong, close knit and determined family and that we could support him through rehab. I knew that we could handle whatever challenges that would bring as long as someone would just assure us that he was going to wake up. Well, he did wake up. Our prayers and pleadings with The Lord have been answered and now he needs us more than ever. My Dad needs continued prayers for comfort and strength and I know that they are being sent from so many people. I look forward to the challenges ahead because it means my Dad is alive and there is promise for his future.

3 comments:

  1. Such good news about the survey. I hope they will be able to remove the EVD from his head this evening. With every procedure that your Dad has done, we pray that it will continue to get him closer to regaining his life. The U. of U. Rehab Facility helped my wife so much and I truly feel that she had the best care ever. I hope and pray that in the near future we will read one of your blogs that say, "Dad started rehab today!" I hope they will be able to start treating the blood clot issues soon. I know this is of great consern. We continue to keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you bring joy with each little change. And yes, there is much ahead as far as rehabilitation--but he can do it. The prayers and love and blessings help every inch of the way. I echo Troy and Linda Hess' comments. (Two years ago, they said Bruce would never walk--life changed for us in many ways--but he is walking with a walker.) I know you want it all at once--baby steps and you will be there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving all the posts. I know that there is a long road ahead, but I am SO grateful for the positive steps and progress. I know you guys can handle anything that comes. I am so happy that HE IS AWAKE!!!

    ReplyDelete