Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pancakes

We passed the swallow test! I say that as if I sat next to him and swallowed a giant swig of barium myself. Not so, but we are all so deeply invested in his recovery and progress that 'we' seems fitting. He is now allowed to be on a soft diet which means... Pancakes! As soon as I heard I ran across town to my favorite pancake place. Unfortunately, they would not let him have blueberries but all in good time. It was so amazing to watch him sit up and put something in his mouth. I cannot imagine not eating anything for over a month. Although they have been consistently feeding him an adequate diet via his PEG tube, he has been so unsatisfied and hungry! Hopefully we can start working on putting some meat back on his skinny back, arms and legs.

Therapy went well today. Physical therapy has been a little monotonous as they just walk around the gym with him three times a day. We all know this is a very important and necessary skill, but we are starting to feel there are some aspects of his physical recovery that are not being addressed. Don't you worry though, Colby took control of that and insisted they work with Dad on his balance for one of his sessions. He is getting much stronger. We feel comfortable walking with him to the bathroom now but will be thrilled when he no longer has to drag a giant IV pump behind him.

Dad works so hard in the mornings at therapy sessions and is always exhausted in the afternoons. Hudson loves to take advantage of this situation and cuddles up for afternoon cartoons. My Dad is genuinely the best Grandpa I know and it's been a longstanding joke that my child loves Dad more than he loves me. I am so beyond grateful that my Dad survived this horrible experience not only for his wife and children, but for his adoring grand babies. There is just no way to adequately describe our relief that we have him here with us. We need this man.







4 comments:

  1. YES!!! Real food! Congrats on one more step in this whole journey. Way to go Colby. Never be afraid to ask questions or make requests...this is your loved one and your future. Having Grandkids around for your Dad is absolutely THE BEST THERAPY THERE IS! Over the past several months my wife's saving grace has been her Grand babies! They bring hope, love, motivation to keep working. Keep up the excellent progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say that your dad is by far THE best dressed patient in that hospital im sure!!!! You guys all Rock! Kelsey O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! Get that man some mashed taters!! So happy for all of his progress as we begin counting down to his return home!! Keep up the hard work Judd, we are cheering you on! We love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete