Friday, April 12, 2013

Let's Get Physical!

Dad got some serious cardio in today! Dad is a hard worker, but I've never known him to actually "work out." All of this cardio in physical therapy has got him breaking a mean sweat, especially after being down and out for a month. When I went with him to physical therapy we were able to go outside for a nice little jaunt! It was a beautiful day here in the city, and it was dad's first time walking a distance outside. The therapists really wanted him to get experience walking through different terrains. She intentionally had him moving over bark, rocks, and uneven dirt. This is especially important for dad because of the location of his house, and of course, his occupation. He did really well considering he hasn't been out in 5 weeks. As always, his balance is still a bit of an issue. He still can't walk 100% unassisted consistently. Pretty much the entire issue is balance. He tips to a side very easily, and he just has to be corrected by someone. Also, I am sure that a lot of the balance issue is related to the fact that he sees double! I'd say that would probably throw you off a bit while walking. Dad went really far, clear over to the U of U college of nursing, and school of pharmacy. He walked down and up 2 monstrous hills. I was so proud of him on this unfamiliar terrain! By the time he got up the massive hill, he was sweating and breathing like crazy! I was so pleased to see him working his heart and muscles again. I know it must be doing so much good for his body. Once we got back inside he still wasn't done. (His therapists are really hitting it hard in these last few sessions.) We played this game where the therapist and I stood one in front and one behind dad. He had to throw a big ball to his therapist and then turn around and throw it to me. This is still really tough for him. Going front and backward is very challenging for him balance wise. He was a trooper though, and he pushed himself hard to the very end. He was sweating and downing water like crazy. :) Occupational therapists are still working hard on his logic and problem solving skills. He did so awesome navigating maps today with Michelle. We also did a crossword puzzle that Dad just breezed through. Dad still states that "he doesn't want to go home stupid." This hurts my heart so much. I wish that he knew just how INCREDIBLE his recovery has been, and the limitations most who have had traumatic brain injuries live with forever. The therapist told me that he is doing amazing, and all of the things dad is dealing with are very typical. She says double vision and balance issues are super common. She told me that she sees him improving more and more when he goes home. I think that he is realizing that he may never be like he was. He told me today that he hopes everyone won't expect him to be exactly the same, because some things are harder for him now. I assured him that no one expected him to come back and be 100% the next day. I know that it will be difficult, but I hope that he can embrace his "new normal" and accept that his best is more than enough. A quick funny story about Dad. Che text me the last picture of him and told me that he is now hoarding salt. If you know my Dad, you know that he has always been a REAL salt lover. Because his stroke was hypertensive, he is on a sodium restricting diet. Che said that he opened up his bedside drawer to reveal a bunch of stockpiled salt packages. This guy, he is the limit. :) I got a great laugh out of it. He is the cutest.



















5 comments:

  1. We are just anticipating the "new normal" to come back home. We are grateful for "more than" answered prayers. May our Savior and Father in Heaven continue to bless you and thanks for taking us on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! I am laughing so hard about the salt. You better believe I would be doing the same thing. Love salt. I am so impressed with all the walking- up hills, stairs, bark...wow. It really is amazing to see how far he has come. I think that going home will do wonders too. Just so thrilled about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks so good:-) Happy to hear he can go home soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judd, you are now starting a new life again. Things will never be like they used to, but they can be even better in so many ways! You have the best family and along with them and your friends, your "New Normal" will be filled with new adventures. Your amazing wife, kid's and Grandkids will see to it that as you return home very soon, that things will come back more and more. Please give it (my wife gets so tired of hearing this sometimes) "Time and Patience." Seeing the pics of you walking that hill, which we know so well, just proves that after all you have been through, the biggest mountains that lay ahead of you in the future will also be conquered! That is extremely hard work and you should be so proud of yourself. When you come home, people will love who you are no matter what physical limitations you may have right now. Its your heart and your soul that have not changed one bit and this is what people love about you! If you would have said to me one year ago this coming April 16th, that my wife and I would be vacationing in Los Cabos Mexico, I would have thought you were crazy! Sure, we have had to make some pretty big changes on how we do things, but life moves on and so do we! I totally expect you to be able to do so many of all the fun things you used to before this happened to you, so keep working hard my friend, stay strong, stay hungry, set big goals and little goals and just knock them off one at a time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Judd on your progress! We are all so proud of you. Also you to your amazing wife and family who will always continue to support and love you forever. They have proved that over and over in all of your families' trials. So exciting that you get to home soon and it will only get better from here, cuz I truly believe that everyone does better when they get out of a hospital and into their own surroundings and especially their own bed. Many of us continue to pray for you and your family and will continue to do so. You are a Crapo (one tuff son of a gun, so it's only going to go up from here. Susan here is big hug from me to you through the computer (haha!!!) love ya lady. you never cease to amaze me in all you do and go through and still have a smile on your face. Keep the faith as you always do!

    ReplyDelete