Friday, April 5, 2013

Another Day in Paradise

Hello there everyone. This is Carlie again. Ill be posting for the next few days. Today has been a day much like any other here in rehab. Therapy went quite well this morning. Dad is doing more and more for himself every single day. Looking at him today, I notice that his increased strength is becoming visibly evident. He has muscle tone in his arms and legs, and it is obvious in his more purposeful movements. It is truly amazing how fast atrophy of the muscles took place when Dad got sick. Sadly, it is a lot harder to get back than it was to lose it! Physical therapy has been working Dad very hard to regain his balance. Sometimes they really push, but it's so worth it to see the improvement in his mobility! He has been working on walking a lot, and he needs less and less help all the time. He is going longer distances with each session as well. Today he is planning on braving the crowds in the main lobby of the hospital (we know how much Dad loves those Utah crowds!) The only problem with all this increased movement is that he thinks he is a little steadier on his feet than he is. his wrist band for the hospital states that he is a fall risk because he is a "little impulsive." (That is a bit of an understatement.) We will definitely need to work on getting him to slow down a bit. :) He is also working hard on cognition and problem solving exercises. He is doing exercises and games that are meant to strengthen his critical thinking. I have to say, some of the things he was doing would have been difficult for me! He is really making huge strides. He did tell his occupational therapist that he wants to be doing exercises on his 4-wheeler. Oddly enough, she said she couldn't deliver. :) Being able to eat has made Dad a chipper fellow the last day or two! He was finally served mashed potatoes and gravy at lunch today! They came with puréed corn and some sort of mystery meat loaf. He is such a good sport and tried everything on his plate. His comment... "Whew, that meatloaf is horrible!" Che and I got a good chuckle out of it. It's nice to know that he is still pretty hilarious. He also got ice cream with the meal. By the time he got to it, though, he said it was mostly cream. Oh well, it was delicious creamy sugar either way! I promised him a nice, proper, non-mystery meat Sunday feast for conference this weekend. All in all, I couldn't be more proud of my Dad. I am amazed by his great attitude and his willingness to give this his all. He is very motivated to get home, but I think he realizes that this is very necessary for a great outcome once he gets there. The same can be said for my amazing mom. She has been there all day every day since the second this happened. My dad never wants her to go, and he always requests that she stays and takes care of him over anyone else. They're really in this together. I'm so glad I have them, and that they have each other.

















8 comments:

  1. Maybe its because he's not wearing his "press n seal" glasses, or maybe its cuz he finally was able to eat some potatoes...but that last picture he looks great! Way to work hard Judd. Prayers are still being sent each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet Carl!!! And he looks so much happier!!♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carlie for your post today. I'm sure this food is heaven compared to what he's had for the past month. Happy to hear therapy is going good. We got to know those halls very very very well and my wife Linda's goal everyday was to make to the end of the long hall where the chairs are. Keep up the excellent job that you all are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mystery meatloaf! That does look terrible. I am so happy with all the positive progress...and the eating, oh such a big deal! Glad you guys are recording all these details every day though i am sure it gets hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im glad to hear that your dad is doing well in his recovery. My dad suffered a heart attack on Saturday where by he was walking to he car and collapsed. The ambulance said that it took 30 mins to start him breathing again, and when he reached to the hospital he was taken to a lab where they resolved the problem with one of his arteries and put him under sedation. He was under sedation for 5 days and came off on Thursday, but he is not responding. He is opening his eyes which is a good sign for us, just as it was for you, as it brings hope and a change of state. He also keeps on shaking continuously and the doctors are saying that it looks like he is having seizures. They are going to do an EEG next week but the doctor today sat us down and told us that the likelihood of him waking up is slim. I immediately started to cry because it was just too much to take in. My dad is only 54 years old and this is just so unexpected and out of the blue. I keep thinking that this is some sort of nightmare that I am going to wake up from. Reading your story gives me so much hope. I am praying everyday for God to restore my dads brain, and I know he will. I'm a final year student also and I have my final year exams and I just don't know what to do. What did you do to encourage your dad to come around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanta,
      First and foremost, I am so sorry to hear about your father. As you may know, when my dad first disaffected his stroke the likelihood that he would wake up was not very high. Just like you, we were devastated. As you can see though, my dad beat the odds. I cannot say what really made the difference for my Dad. All I know is that they combined prayers and faith of many many people made the difference. The body is a miraculous machine, and sometimes is does incredible things to heal itself. When my Dad first started to wake up, we also had very small victories. The first time he opened his eyes was one of the best days of my entire life. I know how upsetting it must be to see your dad in this condition. I wish that there were more I could do or say. Please just know that miracles do happen. Sometimes people beat the odds. I have struggled with the difficult balance of having hope, yet being realistic since this happened. I did not want to set myself up for disappointment by hoping for something that may not happen. Keep praying, keep having faith. Things will work out the way that they are supposed to. Again, I am so so sorry. I know how you must be feeling. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. ❤
      Carlie Crapo

      Delete
    2. Fanta,
      I too, am so sorry to hear about your father. Do not lose hope. When our Dad was waking up he also suffered from severe shaking. They thought it was probably focal seizures, then tremors then eventually decided that it was shivering. It is promising that your Dad is opening his eyes. I believe that a greater being saved our Dad, but I also know that family is so important in times like this. Hold his hands and talk to him. Remind him that he can do this and you have faith he can come back to you. Stay strong. Our family will keep you in our prayers and I'm terribly sorry that there are others suffering through this nightmare. All our love,
      The Crapo Family

      Delete
  6. So happy for you all!!! GO JUDD!!!

    ReplyDelete