Sunday, April 7, 2013

Feast, Family, Love

Today has been a great day for Dad and the family. I had planned on making Dad a nice big Sunday meal all week. I brought over some mashed potatoes, bread pudding, and rolls for him to eat while he watched Conference. I was pleasantly surprised to find Cortney waiting when I walked in! She decided to sneak down with Max and spend the day here with us. I wasn't sure if he would be very hungry since it was only a few hours after lunch. Oh boy-- one whiff of good old Idaho spuds and he was demanding that we pour that gravy on, and give him a fork! He ate with very flattering enthusiasm. (I don't think he would enjoy my cooking so much if he hasn't had a decent meal in more than a month.) Oh well, I'll take it while it lasts! :) While he was eating we got even more pleasantly surprising visitors! Cade and Katie brought their family for the weekend. My aunt Lisa and her husband Dave are also in town for a quick visit. We have recently been taking a little bit of heat from the nursing staff here about visitors. Because we are such a large family, and Dad is such a magnetic type of person, there always seems to be someone in and out of his room. This is a little unsettling for the nursing staff because of the type of injuries Dad has. I know that they are worried about us overstimulating his brain. Although I see the logic, and I have been taught about this very thing in school, I can't help but look around today and think that this is doing more for my Dad than any medical intervention ever could. He is literally surrounded on every side by people who love and adore him. He has been cheered on, prayed for, cried over, and loved harder than anyone I know. I am so grateful for all these wonderful people in the room today, and the countless others cheering him on from a distance. I know it has really made the difference for him. He seems to come alive around his visitors. He and my Mom are quick to take up their witty banter right where it left off. (The Bickerson's as I lovingly refer to them.) :) He cracks jokes, and talks about his long future when he gets back to farmin'. For the first time in months, things almost seem normal. We are not plagued by the nagging elephant in the room when we talk. We do not have to feel guilty for laughing any joking around Dad. He is laughing right along with us. Dad gets a day off from therapy on Sundays, so he will be free to visit until he is tuckered out and needs a nap! I am sorry if this blog is becoming a little monotonous. It is hard not to repeat my gratitude and happy feelings over and over. I am struggling not to shout from the rooftops how much I love this man, and this family. Happy Sunday all! Hope yours was as enjoyable as the Crapo's. Tomorrow we will be back at it in therapy. And we are hoping for a little outing with Dad in the next coming week now that he is IV free!







2 comments:

  1. The blog is not monotonous! We're all happy and cheering for joy at what an amazing blessing it is to have your dad still here, and recovering at a great speed. Even though it's going to still be a process, it's so wonderful all the progress he's made. It's wonderful he has such a great family to support him and love and lift him through all of this. Laughing is very healing, so keep it up! Kim and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day for you all. So happy things are going so good. Nothing like having family around you to help support you through some of the worst of times. Glad to hear you will be having a day trip soon. That will be soooo good for the spirits! Keep up the excellent work all of you, because this is truly a team effort. Once again I have to say how thankful we all are for your wonderful posts.

    ReplyDelete